Dealing with any kind of road accident can be traumatic and exhausting. But when the accident involves an 18-wheeler, the damage is much greater. Calling the right people, dealing with the insurance company, arranging a rental car, and taking care of yourself medically can turn out to be challenging for anyone in the aftermath of a truck accident.
In pursuing a truck accident case, it’s important to determine who was at fault. If the accident was due to the fault of someone else, you are eligible to get compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other hardships.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
- Poor maintenance of trucks
- Inadequate training of drivers
- Faulty brakes and negligent brake repair
- Inadequate lighting
Things To Do After a Truck Accident
- Collect information at the scene: Ideally, the driver should collect all relevant information at the scene to assist with the investigation. This includes name, address, and contact information of all the witnesses and victims.
- Take photos and videos: Try and take photos or record a video of the scene. Photos also provide information about potential witnesses and things that may have contributed to the accident. For example, malfunctioning traffic lights or overgrown hedges may have obstructed the driver’s view.
- Contact the police: Anyone who is involved in a trucking accident should remain at the scene and contact the police or state highway patrol. Once a law enforcement officer arrives, s/he will assess the situation, file the accident report, and instruct you on all the things you need to do next.
Get in Touch with a Personal Injury Attorney
If you believe you are entitled to get compensation for your losses and injuries, it’s advisable to contact a specialized trucking accident attorney. Attorneys at the Law Offices of L. Clayton Burgess in Eden Isle, New Orleans have more than two decades of experience in handling complicated truck accident cases.
Our legal professionals have the resources and expertise necessary to help you win your case. We ensure that we build the strongest case possible and pursue maximum compensation for lost income, medical bills, property damage, and pain and suffering.
If you’ve been injured by an 18 wheeler, call the legal representatives at Law Offices of L. Clayton Burgess for a free initial consultation.